Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lily in the lab and fishes



The Ikebana arrangement last Friday.

Nice to see the blooming lily in the lab. Light yellow flower with white egde and it smells great. Pure white lily is too boring and this is just perfect and wow, they are big flowers, bigger then my palm!

When I open the lab door, I can smell the scent of the flower fills the room. Heavenly!

17/09/08

My fish tank at home getting more and more interesting. Just got some pragnent fish from Chin last weekend. Chern Liang dream of the fish giving birth to baby last night! His dream sometimes will come true leh! So I do hope to see some baby fish in my tank.

This is the second batch of fish we keep. The first batch of 4 from fish shop cannot tahan the vigorous handling and experimentation of the Loo family and bit us farewell!

Everyone in the family is so excited over the fishes in the first attempt. The kids busy with scooping the fish with the small net, feeding the fish not knowing how much to feed, the pump is too strong and the fish cannot rest, a lot of teething problem....

As a result, the fishes all sacrificed. As a result, more study was done and in consultation to my colleague 10 years old son, I know my mistake of why hardy sucker fish also die. Sorry fishes!

  1. The water must treat with anti clorin, overnight water is not good enough.
  2. The current create by the pump should not reach the other end of the tank or we need a fish that survive in native strong current fish!! So then I observed the fish tank else where and realise that the air outlet mostly point downward. I tried yesterday to blow the filter the way it was shown in the brochure, and the fishes swim like a mad dog, how to survive!!
  3. The tank was too small, this time I change to a larger one picked up down stair. 2 1/2 ft tank to use with the same pump. And the outlet face down, creating a vertical current concentrated on one area only, not front, creating a rapid in the tank!!
  4. The small tank (1 1/2 ft) I copy my friend style of keeping the red fish, she do not have any pump in her house for the red fish, but the fish still grow so big and fat.... So I decided to copy her way of keeping the red fish. It works.
  5. The tank was empty without much plant before. The smaller tank now this floating plant and I realise it was bitten by the hungry fish when we had forgotten to feed the other stromy morning. We were rushing to get out of the house in the morning. Now the tank has more plants. I placed in a glass container planted with money plant, label not yet fully removed (50% gone only). That stormy morning, the guppies actually chew on the paper and the paper scatter on the base of the tank! The label is 90% clear now.
  6. The kids may have feed the fish too little. I realise Rui was feeding only one or two shake of micro pallet which is not sufficient. The fish gollope the food in less then one minute, so I added a few more shake. And advise Rui on the amount to add.
  7. Most importantly, keep the net! Do not let the kids scoop the fish or the fish will turn upsite down into dead body in no time, they corner the fish and injured them.
My friend laugh at me when she gets to know that a few fishes make my family so busy!! But is good fun for the family. We will hang around the tank to talk instead of watching TV!
I hope the fish will be happy with us. Be strong fishes, I will try my best to take care of you.

No comments: